Gooood Afternoon! Mia here,
Just finished a TON of laundry!!! Mostly comforters, sheets and towels. It was getting out of control. Now I'm writing you with my dog, Maddox, comfortably (for him) resting on my entire left foot. I guess he missed me while I was doing laundry.
During the spin cycle, I did a Facebook LIVE on the topic of late night eating. I posted about this on my personal page and received so many comments with different theories from not eating past 6p, 7p, 8p no more than 1.5 hours before bedtime, 2 hours before bedtime to the whole thing is a myth.
I go into more detail in the video, but the synopsis is this:
1. There are conflicting studies on best times to eat for fat loss.
2. Watch out for merely eating for pleasure and the "munchies". Just because you're watching TV does not mean you need a snack.
3. Eat for what you're about to do. If you're about to go to sleep, then maybe having a carbohydrate and large calorie meal is not a good idea, as you are winding down and won't be using that energy. Food is energy. Moreover, your body cannot heal and recover if it is busy breaking down food.
4. Eat for what you just did. If you just worked out, but it's 9p, EAT! Your body needs to be replenished and at this time, it NEEDS carbohydrates to turn it into an anabolic state, the sate of recovery.
5. Try to have some space before last meal of the night and first meal the day. I aim for 12-16 hours on a daily basis. The reason is because the Human Growth Hormone (HGH), what your body uses to repair itself at night, is not released until AFTER the glucose has been used in your blood and is no longer present. The closer you eat to bedtime, the longer it will take for that to be released. Another added benefit if your goal is fat loss is, while you're up working out or just busying yourself, your body will use your stored fat as energy since glucose is not available.
I break all of this down further in this video, but hopefully this helps shed some light on the subject.
Listen to your body and make wise choices that are best for you.
Dedicated To Your Success,
Nutrition Coach, Strong 4 Pole